Tips on avoiding paint splatter when doing walls & ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i'm in the process of painting the walls and ceiling of the living room.

When i'm painting the ceiling, there's a very fine mist of paint that splats the nearby walls, sometimes bigger droplets. Right now it doesn't really matter because it'll all get covered the same.

However eventually, the ceiling will be ready for a white top coat & the walls would be ready for a coloured top coat. That's the plan anyway, providing these walls aren't a nightmare.

So when painting the walls with the coloured top coat, it'll surely end up spraying off a fine mist ... and on to the white ceiling.

Any tips on avoiding this problem?

I know the obvious will be don't put masses of paint on your roller but in my opinion i don't. Plus i roll it out quite slowly to avoid splatter as i was finding when i was rolling it quite quickly it was splatting more.

Sponsored Links
I've never had paint splatter onto a ceiling when using a roller on the walls.. but then I use a paint brush to cut in anyway so don't get that close and I guess gravity does the rest.

Pressing too hard, cheap or poor design rollers where the paint collects a lot at the ends as well as loading up with too much paint can all cause splattering.

If you're getting paint splatter, then it may be a case of a cheap thin paint, or your rolling to quickly. As Blightly mentioned, use a paintbrush to cut in the wall at the top, then then run the roller sideways at the top, rather than up or down. Are you using a medium roller, or a long haired one which is more prone to throwing paint everywhere.

Roller is a Wooster Pro Doo-Z one.
Paint that was being used was Dulux Trade Super Matt

On the back of what you've said then i guess i was either loading it up too much, rollering too fast or probably more likely - it was too thin.

When i took off the extension pole & did a wall by hand the splat wasn't nearly as bad as when i was doing the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
You're roller looks fine, but I haven't tried the paint, so can't comment. At the end of it, you're techniques getting better, so best of luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back