New DG for bay window-are we being taken for mugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just recently had a new bay window "fitted" and have yet to pay the full remaining balance as there are aspects of the work we are not happy with. I'm not an unreasonable guy and I've been scratching around the internet to try and see if we ARE being fussy or whether the work is well below par and requires remedial work.

1. Bay window ceiling had at some point a slow leak from the external flat roof (over a number of years) before we moved in. Plaster on one part of the bay window arch had perished and basically the wallpaper seemed to be holding it together! This was pointed out to the DG surveyor and it was suggested to us that it's best to have the plastering done AFTER the DG is fitted.

2/ On the day of installation, all other windows fitted with little problem but the bay window was clearly giving some headaches to the senior fitter.

I was in and out throughout the day but my wife said that she heard the DG team talking amongst themselves that the window was not fitting in properly.

After my the old window unit was removed my wife looked at the brickwork base and spotted a some loose bricks. At the time we assumed the bricks had been loose BEFORE the DG team arrived but now we're not so sure.

We don't believe the DG team fixed the loose bricks and now I'm wondering if they may have intentionally loosed them to give them some wiggle room to fit the bay window in.

A couple of questions on this point.Is it unreasonable to expect them to ensure the brickwork is solid before placing a large window unit on top of it? And is there a possibility that the DG team could have benefited by loosening some bricks themselves?

3/ I arrive back home and the fitter shows me the new window fitted and explains that he doesn't like to leave a job like that (picture attached) but that we need a plasterer in to seal upto the frame where the plaster had perished and also the ceiling of the bay window area but on reflection I can see there is a clear line of brickwork that the unit could have been fitted to closer than they actually did and again I am suspecting the window may have been incorrectly fitted.

4/ We also have an ongoing dispute with them about the duraboard sills. The plastic trim looks cheap and doesn't even appear to fit correctly. They insist that all duraboard is joined that way.
a>

>

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back