Bay Window Movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I live in an inter-war two-storey semi which has a double bay window: brick base, lounge bay window, rendered brickwork above, and a bedroom bay window.
The brickwork between the two bay windows has started to move away from the house. There is no movement in the brick base or downstairs window, and I am confident that the problem is due to the original wooden frames having been replaced three years ago by upvc windows, resulting in insufficient support for the bedroom bay window. The glazier company is now under new ownership and their insurers will not cover the cost of the work. The glaziers have offered to help out after Christmas.
Our house insurers do not accept liability saying that the problem has been caused by poor workmanship.
However, I noticed today that angular 'squint' bricks have been used on every other row of the brick base (to bond the base wall to the house).
My question (finally!): If the same type of 'squint' brick had not been used to bond the rendered upper section brickwork to the house, when it was built, are we entitled reasonably to make a claim against our house insurance, for partial compensation? In other words, for insurance purposes wouldn't it have been unreasonable to have expected us to have spotted a problem that showed no signs of existing. The house has been insured annually for the past thirty years without ever having to make a claim.

Thank you for reading this. I would sincerely appreciate any advice that you may be able to give.

Sponsored Links
You won't have any claim on your insurance for the reason you state.

Are you sure that the section between the frames is brickwork? Normally it is a timber frame

If the company is just under new ownership, as opposed to being a different company, then you can pursue a claim against it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back