New DHW system in Portugal

Thanks for the fast response, Tony.
We have been told by a stove retailer that we should have 12Kw for the water and 8Kw for the room. The smallest wood burner with boiler that we have seen so far is 29Kw. The neighbour is putting the same one in his house and reckons it will need about 3 Kg of wood for an evening...
I have seen another stove at a friend's in Greece. I don't know the Kw of his stove but he gets the dinner cooked in the oven, four radiators for the evening and two showers - all out of one log of wood weighing about 1.5 Kg.
It is all new to me - hence the plea for help!

Patrick

I think you need to check your maths!

This web site shows that even oak only gives 4.5 kWh per kg!

So 1.5 kg of oak would give a gross heat output of less 7 kWh ! But the practical stove efficiency could be as low as 50-70%.

So I would use Richard's word "twaddle" for anyone who pretended to run three rads and two showers for an "evening" !

Take care, great care!

And before you hide behind the sales brochures, that's me in the photo cleaning the sight glass on the wood stove in France. I installed it too a couple of years ago.

Tony

Gosh, so it is!! I didn't recognise you with your clothes on.

Sponsored Links
That website has the feel of knowing what it is on about! I am beginning to build a spec for the stove I want to buy, at last!
I will find the one for heat from different woods later. Trouble is its more difficult to search for as most are in old fashioned units and I have been metricated since 1980 !
I wonder if metrication will ever happen... Spanish plumbing? English wood sizes (don't think we are fooled by 1.2m and 2.4m lengths! Engineering does its best but then we always did have 1,000ths - ok, of an inch and we still have them!!

Patrick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back