new direct dhw cylinder with extra coils

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing, 50 year old copper cylinder measures roughly 43" (110mm) high by 18" (45mm) in diameter. This is too small for us and the cylinder is on its last legs anyway.l

I'm not good at volume. I need to know what size cylinder I have now so I can assess what size to buy new. Could someone help with that, please?

We are all electric here and I'm wondering if it would be prudent to buy a new cylinder with a central heating coil in it just in case, sometime in the future, we feel we ought to go over to a wet heating system. I won't be able to cope with the garden in four or five years and storage radiators do not help a property sale.

Just a thought. Could the unused central heating coil be used for solar panels?

Sponsored Links
your cylinder is approx 175 litres, yes its a good idea to install a cylinder with a solar coil, even if you dont use it , future buyers would see it as a plus.

Actual size is probably 42" by 18" which is 144 ltr

You may be able to go taller to modern size 1200 X 450 which is 166 ltr

You definately may aswel buy indirect as it is only about a tenner more.

But when you start talking solar you are into a whole new ball park. The manufacturers want their pound of flesh because suddenly you are shoping in a market where they can make some proper money.

Furthermore, if and when you do decide to have a solar thermal system fitted it will be at a time when government insentives are rolled out. To qualify for those you will have to use an apporved contractor, who will have their own ideas on cylinders.

So in my view just buy the, relatively speaking, cheap indirect cylinder.

your 50 year old cylinder probably weighs a ton in limescale which has probably ocupied a large proportion of the strorage capacity. Further more your heating element may be less efficient through scale build up. Taken together with the improved insulation on modern cylinders, you will probably notice a huge improvement straight away from a new cylinder even of the same size.

Thanks for your replies, guys.

I think I'll take your advice Paul, and buy a simple ordinary indirect cylinder. The next owner can work out any improvements he wants.

Best,

Bludger

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back