New Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to change the location of the kitchen waste pipe and need to install the appropriate drain externally to link up with the sewer.

Here is a picture of the back of the house which shows the two gullies and soil pipe.

Here is a rough schematic showing the current drainage layout.

The house is built on a slope and falls about 6 bricks in height (it's a 1950's ex council house).

Currently there are 4 inputs leading to the sewer (1 x gully for kitchen waste, 1 x gully for bath waste, 1 x upstairs toilet and 1 x outside toilet). There is also a rain gully that doesn't flow into the sewer so I assume this leads to a soak away (I think this was built during the 1990 garage extension).

The new kitchen drain will exit the house next to the current rain gully (leading to the soak away). Can anyone recommend how I should link the new kitchen waste to the main sewer?

I think I have the following options:
1) Straight pipe to the man hole, this is the old brick style. This seems the simple option although I am not sure how to go about this.
2) Dig down to the outside toilet pipe and branch in
3) Dig down to the current branch used by the gullies and branch in.

It would neaten things up if I could run the new waste and existing rain pipe into the sewer, otherwise I will have two drains right next to each other. I don't think this is allowed though.... In additon I know that messing around with drains might need an inspection.......

Thanks in advance for your help.[/img]

Sponsored Links
I have completed some more research with regard to this post.

It would appear that joining to the existing man hole is quite an involving task, I would have to add a slipper joint and then concrete the benching. I then think I would need to involve a building inspection.

I think it will be easier to branch into an existing branch, perhaps adding an inspection chanber above the joint. Does this sound like a simpler solution?

Thanks in advance.

If you're sure the existing rainwater drain is independant of the foul drainage then im afraid a seperate run for the proposed new kitchen waste is your only option.

Using a bottle gulley for the new waste may allow you (with BCO's permission) to couple into an existing pipe without the need for a chamber. (Pipework can be rodded from the gulley.)

Would it be ok if I run the waste branch pipe across the house and plumb directly into the soil pipe? I need to replace the current cast iron one anyway. If you look at the photo of the back of the house the new waste pipe will exit just below the door (which will become a window), the pipe will then run under the window (which will become french doors). I've read the building regs and although the length of the full run would be 5m this would be ok with an AAV on the branch pipe. Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Waste pipe well clipped to wall, bossed direct to stack doesn`t involve BCO. Saves all that digging stuff!
Best to put anti vac trap under sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back