New Elec supply circuit & discrimination - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small JB on my outside wall which feeds my garage Consumer Unit (63A). The JB is fed direct from main house C.U. (63A Main Switch.)
I would like to install another weatherproof box adjacent to and spurring from the JB, with switched sockets (for lawnmower/Xmas lights etc) and also a permanent supply (5Amp) for automated gates to be installed. What's the best way of discriminating the supplies and best products (in general) to use? Bearing in mind I'm on a budget and would like to do this as cheaply but as safely and compliant as possible.

Is it best to use seperate RCBO's fed from 63A JB, to then feed the seperate users?
At the moment, I'm thinking:
New IP65 Enclosure containing DIN Rail mounted RCBOs (16A, 5A)
RCBOs supplying sockets and Connection units in enclosure.
Will the RCBOs adequately protect the downstream circuits?

Help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can you upload some photos?
Adding accessories outside falls under a special installation and hence will be notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs.
You may find it easier and cheaper to employ the services of a local electrician who can self certify.

I take it the garage CU is either fully populated and has no space for the 2 x RCBO's, or is it that the j/b you want to tee off from is simply nearer / easier for the new circuits ?

Whats on the CU in the garage- RCD plus how many and what type of circuits ?

Could there be a situation where the new external box with 5A + 16A added to the garage CU (unknown load) cause the 63A at the main board to trip ?

Is there any possibility of increasing the garage CU and running the ciruit back to a single control point ?

Is the 63A circuit from the house CU RCD protected ?

Spark123;
Nothing to see really, just a small GRP JB at low level on the side wall.

Chri5;
Garage is an option, but is quite far away from the point where I want the extra supplies.
Surely the main board would not trip if I were to use the proper discrimination (RCD or RCBO in new enclosure) - correct me if I'm wrong please.

The 63A Main House IS RCD protected.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Pesky regs!!!
BTW - how are things like this policed? Who's to know if I add an outside socket on my own house? As long as is doesn't cause fire, then no reason to investigate ??? (Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere)

Mere mortals will need a Spark to change a light bulb next :idea:

Chances are no one will really know while it remains your house...

but if you come to sell your house and are asked if you have had any electrical work done and if you have correct building regs sign off for it... you'd best be honest, because if you lie and get found out, that could open up up to being gone after for damages...

Not saying anything about your work (obviously as I have never seen it!), but I do a fair few periodic inspections for letting agencies, and the amount of things I see that are clearly a result of someone thinking "its only some under cabinet lights/sockets in the/ new light fixture in bathroom" are countless

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back