New extension lighting advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am close to getting on with the rewiring of my new extension.

I should be doing this next week.

Can anyone help me out with regards to some lighting ideas for the room.

In the photo you can see we have some nice oak beams which hold up the roof.

Would you recommend uplighting this space from the floor or wall level, or would you go for uplighting from the beam area, so you light up the ceiling effectively.

We currently use wall lamps mainly in our front lounge and so we reckon similar will happen here. So we know we don't want lots of strong down lighting in the room. So big dangly wall lamps are out or spot lights every where.

The room is 4m wide and 6m long and sits on the back of the kitchen.

Open to ideas or recommendations for specific products.

Attachments

• IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
It is a balance looks to even lighting, my kitchen extension I used a fluorescent tube light, 5 foot long to get spread, it was really too bright at 58W so now replaced with a 24W LED tube, today there are LED panels and in real terms if using LED lighting you need to spread the light, wall up-lighters can send light to be reflected off the ceiling, however the wall needs to be very flat or it will show every imperfection.

Yes the walls need to be in good nick. Hope my plastering is ok.

I have worked out i am going to use some pendant lights in one section of the room. Its the highest section and so i would like 2 lights to hang quite low. The issue i have is all the lights are 1m minimum hanging down and i need something around 70cm ideally. i wonder if i can alter the length of the units myself.

This was a potential buy:

https://www.lights.co.uk/enchanting-hanging-light-venus.html#269=333107

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back