Walllights,opposite:cable up,across,down 2 other, thru wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, trying to get gist in the few characters you're allowed!

I need to 're-light' the dim lounge. It's 6m x 4m.

Plan is to retain single central ceiling light on one switch, but to add 4 'wall washer/uplighter' wall lights 2 each on each of the long walls, running off 2 separate poss dimmer switches, so we can light one end of the room, both or the other.

We have (nasty) artex ceilings (10 yr old 'estate' 2 storey house). To keep it 'simple' (ha!) and financially under control, minimal disruption to the artex would be good. What I am wondering, oh electrician types, is this:

Assuming the 2 wall lights that will face each other will be on one switch, CAN we put in the 'far' light, chip thru the plaster up to the ceiling, then 'feed' the cable ABOVE the artex ceiling to the near wall, then run it down to the second light? Thence to the switch? Or do we need to chip a channel across the artex ceiling for the cable? The beams do run 'with' us!

Your thoughts welcome.

I should add I won't be undertaking the electrical work myself but wanted to get an idea of what was possible before bothering the sparky. I can plaster flat walls but repairing artex (WHY WHY WHY?)- another matter!

TIA

Sponsored Links
If you dont like artex, get rid! Plaster over it if you can do it!

I can plaster flat walls but repairing artex (WHY WHY WHY?)- another matter!

Unless it's a particularly intricate pattern, repairing artex should be a lot easier than plastering a flat ceiling.

Why do you think builders use it? Cos any thicko who failed the Wormwood Scrubs College of Building plastering course can throw it up and enough sticks.

Sponsored Links
CAN we put in the 'far' light, chip thru the plaster up to the ceiling, then 'feed' the cable ABOVE the artex ceiling to the near wall, then run it down to the second light? Thence to the switch? Or do we need to chip a channel across the artex ceiling for the cable?
I doubt there's a house in the land where they've chosen to chase a channel in the ceiling if there's access to the floor void from above.

How easy is access from above?

The beams do run 'with' us!
Handy, but they can't run with you for the cables running the length of the room as well.

But your electrician can drill holes in them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back