Removing 2 wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're having some building work done, as part of which I want to remove 2 wall lights.
At the end of the works, I will be having various electrical sockets etc installed by a registered electrician anyway, but I need to undertake this straight forward task ahead of the works.

Having looked at the feeds to the walls lights and ceiling lights, there is a single cable to each (2 wall lights and 2 ceiling lights).

When removing the light switch, we have this:
1.jpg

2.jpg

The wall light switch is on the left as viewed on the first photo.
There are 5 cables in total.

Am I right in assuming that the switch backbox is effectively being used as a junction box, with the 4 single light supply cables run from it?

If this is the case, do I simply need to fully disconnect both wall light cables at both ends (ie switch and light outlet?).
How should the exposed ends of the cables then be treated?
How should the remaining wiring in the switch be?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the loop in is at the switch.

you need to remove the two red wires at the top of the switch that control the wall lights, and the associated two black wires that are in the separate connector at the bottom of the box.
(Under that sticky tape).

POWER OFF BEFORE DOING ANY WORK!

Thanks Taylortwocities.
So with those two top red wires removed (and the associated black wires), I can then move the bottom red feed wire across and get rid of the little link wire - right? So then I'm all on one switch.
I then have dead cables in the walls/ceiling. Can they just be left?
I know it's obviously a no-no to leave any live cables just terminated, but as these are no longer utilised can they just be covered up?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back