new external stop tap

7 Jun 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Could anyone give me any helpl. My property's main water supply pipe goes across a farmers private road, to the other side, and my external stop tap is on the far side of the private road. I am needing to upgrade this pipe from at present 15mm copper pipe to 25mm MDPE blue pipe. I have the farmers permission to do this, however, I have been advised to avoid problems in the future, to put a stop tap inside my boundary as well.

My question is:- if I do this, which is quite feasable as far as I am concerned, what type of stop tap do I need to use. Will it be a brass one, and if so, are there any particular types? I can put it within a small chamber for access.

Any help and assistance would be gratefully received.
Sponsored Links

Many thanks for your speedy response. I have looked at the poly stop tap, but cannot find out whether it is ok to use underground. Do you know whether this is ok or not. I thought they were only to be used indoors. Perhaps you could correct me if I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Many thanks, could you confirm I have to use gun metal, would brass not be ok to use, or would it corrode? What about a plastic push fit mdpe stop tap, would that be ok - thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local