New Fan or the chappie does not know

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new Baxi Solo 3 boiler fitted a few years ago,

Sponsored Links
Does the heating work? Or are both not working? I've never had smoke from a boiler when a fan goes as the boiler will not fire up if the fan is bust?!

If he knew what he is doing he would not leave the job each day unless he had checked to insure you had all services work properly. Smoking fan!!!! or that's what he is telling you. Alarm bells should be ringing by now. Get out whilst the going's good and find a competent heating engineer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

The 'heating' was working because I was told that I can still put the heating on the last 2.5 days but the 'water' was not heating the second time he came round.
The initial two days there was 'no water' coming from the tap therefore did not put the heating on (he said there was an ‘air blockage’), incase I did more damage to the whole system. Notice the boiler ‘overheat light’ does come on- again could this be due to him tampering with it at the water tank in the loft???
He has placed new pipes under the floorboard. I asked him to lag them, floor concealed them so not sure if he has lagged the pipes under the kitchen floor, but cannot see a piece of lagging anywhere with the rubbish.
Many thanks for your response.

Cisco

Guys I have not put anything on now so not sure if the heating is working 'overheat light' is showing hear some movement from the boiler when I put it on for a few seconds.
Cisco

Guys I have not put anything on now so not sure if the heating is working 'overheat light' is showing hear some movement from the boiler when I put it on for a few seconds.
Cisco

cisco you have to manually reset the over heat device
Turn the boiler thermostat fully anti-clockwise to the " OFF" position marked "0"."Wait 10 seconds then turn it back up. The red neon should go out and the boiler should now fire up
try that and see if it still locks out on overheat, if so its likely to be air in the system or a circulation problem

Matt

Turned the heating on- rotated the dial to '+' then half way around dial, been on for twenty minutes 'no smoke ,' no overheat light coming on' and heating is working fine but still no hot water out of the hot water tap what now?
Cheers!
Cisco

Thanks Matt looks like that - will keep you posted still not hot water

:LOL:

It looks like your plumber is not a RGI.
Are you sure the smoke was coming from the fan, or could it have been steam coming out of the aav?

Could well be that you have an airlock in the dhw circuit which stops the flow and overheats the boiler.
If you manually open the dhw port valve, you can try back filling it from the mains through the draincock.
Make sure excess water can get away without overflowing the header tank. Best to have a “ look out” keep an eye on the header tank whilst you do this.

Hi Bengasman,

I was not in when I got told told 'smoke' was coming out, maybe they did not want me to touch it. Steam most likely would have out of the wall vent outside the building (not visible from inside) could have been the electric kettle sitting near the boiler boiling..... maybe they are taking the mickey out of me?
Boiler/heating for the last 1.5hrs has not overheated all working fine. I have an inclination that it could be an airlock because thats what the young chappie said in the very beginning, not asked most likely is not RGI registered, will ask the guy who hired him while putting in my kitchen.

Many thanks Bangasman

Cisco

I really do feel worried about what you have going on.

Its as if its all going on round you without you having any controlo over it.

I almost wonder if there is any way that you could obtain someone to advise you in your own home.

Tony

... not asked most likely is not RGI registered, will ask the guy who hired him while putting in my kitchen.
Don't ask the builder as he could well lie to you. Tell whoever works on the boiler to show their registration, and don't take any excuses like, forgot it, lost it etc.
No card = no work, unless they give your their name and postcode so you can check online with GSR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back