New Floor for hobby room (ex Garden Shed) Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm about to convert the garden shed to a hobby room. I need to replace the whole floor as in one area it has deterioated. I know how to do this but I'm not sure what material to use for the floor over the new batons. Looking at prices OSB exteriror board seems expensive. I was wondering if 18mm 2440x1220 sheets of fibreboard would be appropriate. I've never used the stuff before so I have no idea if it is or not! Can anyone advise please?

Also what would people reccommend to use for the new interior walls that's not too expensive ? (and yes I am putting insulation between the ext and int walls!)

Look forward to hearing from you all

regards

Len

Sponsored Links
Best to exterior plywood or WPB plywood as the laminated is bonded together with waterproof glue

signalnorth said:
How much am I looking at here for a 11'x 8' floor then ? £70 ish ?

going to be close to 70 just depends on costs in your area

a lot more important is the fact the walls will probably be sitting on the floor and the floor joists must be replaces and if any wood is in contact with the ground it must be raised up at least 2 inches to stop rot

and with a name like yours i assume there may be a layout involved ;)

Sponsored Links
I was going to use 9mm ply for the internal walls. What do people think about this?

Also, given that the damaged part of the floor is just along one edge (a fridge leaked water on the floor) I'm now thinking of just replacing this part of it rather than the whole floor (The rest of it seems sound) - Putting some plastic sheeting underneath it as a double precaution.

Thoughts?

cut back to the centre of the nearest joist after the dammage area
cut 4" beyond the rot install 2x1timber half under the old edge [between the joist /floor bearers]screw every 5 or6" avoiding the last 3 inches to avoid splitting

personaly if you have good circulation underneath i wouldnt fit plastic but wait for other opinions on this point!!!

i would also check that all softend wood has been removed especialy if its exposed to the outside as it will act like a sponge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back