New Floor Structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Morning people,

We are having an extension built and on the drawings (attached) on ground floor structure plan it states “50x150 C24 timber joists at 400 centres”

I’m wondering if these timber joists would be strong enough to hold a kitchen, with quartz work tops (i’ve been told they’re heavy) as well as this, i was going to have 18mm caberfloor P5 moisture resistant, with electric underfloor heating laid on top, then a 6mm screed and finished with porcelain tiles.

would these timber joists stated above be able to cope with the weight of the kitchen and floor?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1872 03.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
50x150 C24 timbers will carry a dead load of up to 1.25kN/m² plus a live load of 1.5kN/m², over a span of up to 3m. (or a fraction under)
30mm of quartz worktop is 90kg/m² - so dead load allowance is fine. You're also under max span.

Cheer Jeds, so the work top will be fine!

what about getting stone flag floor? I’ll have 6-10mm self levelling compound screed over my underfloor heating and would like to lay stone tiles, they come in around 42kg/m2.

If this would be too heavy, would you suggest using porcelain tiles to bring down the weight?

If it was me I'd be upping them to 200x50 which would cost roughly about 1/3 more. I'd fit a plywood instead of chipboard too, any movement in a tiled floor is bad news.

Sponsored Links
I’ve been told to place 6mm tile backer cement board on top of my chipboard and screed onto this.

Does that sound better?

I agree with FMT. Either upgrade to 50x200 or, if floor level is an issue, upgrade to 75x150.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back