How do I tackle different sub-floor structures?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
Hoping for some help with how to tackle different sub-floor structures I have throughout a ~1965 bungalow. Hopefully the rough plan I pulled together will provide some context but essentially I have a mix of suspended timber floors on 4 1/2 inch joists and what appears to be concrete floors in other areas. Initial exploration reveals the suspended timber floors are in good enough condition, no real signs of rot etc in the joists, even though it looks like the joists are resting on a wall plate with no DPM (just small brick wall with timber on top set on bit of mortar) and no concrete oversite (soil basically).
One issue apparent is the dining room floor is dropped in the centre around 40mm at worst bit, sloping back up to normal level around outside of room/doorways etc. Only assuming at this stage that this room (part of the old house) was once suspended timber and replaced with concrete but done poorly. Concrete floors in rest of house show no signs of same issue in dining room.
So initially I was going to insulate suspended timber floors, and to sort dining room potentially look at self levelling screed. However, I'm wondering long term should I be looking at the floors as a collective and addressing the differences. At some stage we will be replacing the hallway tiles and putting a new floor down in dining room but it's completely unclear how the concrete floors have been laid (damp is a concern although not apparent). Thinking about whether I should explore things like digging out existing concrete floors and relaying as suspended timber to match others etc.
Would appreciate any views anyone has.
Thanks

Plan.jpg
20210522_120731.jpg
20210522_120857.jpg

Sponsored Links
Doing some further exploration today and appears there is very little through ventilation between the 3 rooms on the right hand side of the house - seperated by I assume supporting walls - just a couple of small holes around pipes.

Any thoughts on how to approach it all would be appreciated, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back