Garage conversion - floating or suspended timber floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I’m doing a garage conversion. 1938 property which has suspended timber ground floors with air bricks.

The difference between my ground floor height and the garage floor slab is around 230mm.

My building inspector seems happy with a floating floor or a suspended timber floor. There’s just about enough room for the latter. I’m not sure which one to do. Presumably the suspended timber floor will still need insulation hanging between the joists?

What would be more cost effective? 230mm seems like a lot of PIR insulation to reach the desired height. Also it would rely on the slab being level which I’m not sure about yet (loads of stuff currently in the garage). Whereas the suspended floor I can hang it level easily enough with joist hangers. Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back