New flooring in barn loft

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello, I recently bought a house that has an attached barn. The area in the picture was historically used for storing hay, and we also want to use this area for storing hay. Around 500 20kg bales = 10,000kg.

Green line: Top of an internal wall
Blue lines: Top of an internal wall
Purple lines: Beams with ends on top of the walls
Red lines: Very thick circular beams with one end on the wall and one end inside the outer wall

All the flooring is very weak, perhaps damaged by damp or wood worm. The previous owners had doubled up the flooring in some places.

What is the best way to approach replacing the flooring?
Can we simply remove all the existing flooring and lay new wooden planks?
Should we consult a structural engineer to determine if the area can still be used to support a heavy load?

20230128_121618.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
New joists then new floor. The original joists are probably on centres that are too wide and are undersized for the job - it was a barn after all, so the rules for habitable spacrs didn't apply and it would be have been done on the cheap. What are the joist centres, what is their length and what is their cross section size?

New joists then new floor. The original joists are probably on centres that are too wide and are undersized for the job - it was a barn after all, so the rules for habitable spacrs didn't apply and it would be have been done on the cheap. What are the joist centres, what is their length and what is their cross section size?
Just to clarify this space will not be habitable and we will use it for hay storage.

I'll make some measurements later.

In that case just board it out - 18mm plywood or chipboard in 8 x 4ft sheets would probably be the fastest way and also deal with level discrepancies better than planking

Sponsored Links
In that case just board it out - 18mm plywood or chipboard in 8 x 4ft sheets would probably be the fastest way and also deal with level discrepancies better than planking
This seems like a nice and quick solution. If there aren't enough joists to secure the boards, I assume I would need to add some more joists?

Just put in extra joists. Not a difficult job and better to be safe than sorry..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back