Concrete floor for barn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working on a Victorian stone built barn. The first problem is that the floor has a 6" slope up from its door to the back wall. The floor was broken flags and earth and when the weather was bad it was very damp.
I am removing 4" of the old floor from the door end and when I get to the back wall, I find that when I dig down 10", I am below the wall stones, because the barn was cut into a slope and they saved time by contouring the "foundations" into the slope. So I am having to underpin about 30' of the wall. This is very slow but seems to work.
My concern is because I am short of labour, I was going for a self levelling concrete mix with a thickness of 4" but would like it fibre reinforced because it will be laid on earth and being water proof would be an advantage. The other alternative would be to use no fibres but use a mesh reinforcement, but I am worried about the dampness of it all.
Once the concrete is finished the wall will be tanked to a height of 2', overlapping on to the floor.
Any thoughts on my methods?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back