New for Old Ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello hopefully this will be a simple answer but I have a feeling it might not... I have purchased a new ceiling light with five low voltage halogen bulbs, the fitting has a plastic connector with Brown Blue and Earth. I have managed to mount the bracket over the exisiting fitting (removing the cover) and have run a brown and blue piece of cable to the junction box but there is no earth in situ.

Currently it is not working, is there anyway of earthing it without completely rewiring from the switvh to fitting? Is it not working because it is not earthed or is it more likely a lose connection issue?

Thanks Jason

Sponsored Links
The lack of an earth has nothing to do with your light not working - that will be an issue with the way the wiring has been connected. There are a number of diagrams in the sticky that might help.

The lack of an earth is, however, a serious issue in itself. The earth wires are the safety net that protects you in the evnt of a fault that would, otherwise, make the fitting itself live, and provide a sort of escape path in the event of such a fault that enables the RCD or MCB or fuse to isolate the power from the system. If your fitting needs an earth, you must not, under any circumstances, use it without a proper earth being connected.

Thats what I thought, so if it has no earth then then the answer to my next question is that I have to re-wire it all with an earth? Thanks for your help. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Some plum had plastered the earth cable in Sheathed all the cables, earthed it and mounted it it works beautifully thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back