New front door fitted to close to the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I had a new front door fitted a couple of weeks ago and they have fitted it too close to the floor so not only can I not tile the floor I had planned I can just about get a door mat under it!

Is there a correct height? Or is it all different and down to the fitter to make sure theres enough room? Can it be moved up on the hinges?

When they first pushed the door into the whole There was about a 3mm gap between the bottom of the door and the floor so I complained and they moved it up to about 17mm I thought that would be enough but it isnt :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume we are talking uPVC here?

I wouldn't blame the fitters one bit, they're just employed to fit a door in a hole, if you wanted room to tile then this should of been taken into account when measuring so your beef should be with the salesman/surveyor, but again, if they weren't aware of your intentions then they won't have made the allowances in height for a frame extender between the cill and door threshold.

As for any adjustment on the hinges then it sounds like they've most likely already done that along with MAYBE cutting the ribs off the top of the frame, thats the only way i can see them finding 14mm

Another way would be to inset the door mat flush with the floor tiles, if it's floor screed then chop out the rebate, if it's a wooden floor then maybe a thin plywood above the floor joists with extra noggins, won't have a trip hazard this way

Sponsored Links
Yeah UPVC, they raised it just by placing a load of packers under the foot plate / sill thing and squirting expanding foam under it, you couldn’t step on it for a few days as it caved in the middle. I think like you said, its most likely the surveyors fault. The window was a terrible fit, had 50mm spacers round 2 sides, looks stupid! So it would surprise me if the door wasnt measured properly. The door also has a 50mm spacer on the top. I know I didnt tell them I was going to tile the floor BUT you kinda expect to be able to get a door mat under the door :)

Its a concrete floor so cant really do much with the floor itself. The only thing I can come up with at the moment is lino or those sticky tiles...nice. I just had a poke around the hinges and yes it looks like adjustments have been done and cant be changed.
Thanks for you help!

Hmmm you got me thinking now, I shall have to pull up more of the sticky tiles that are currently there and take a proper look. Ive only broke off a corner and it looked like concrete! Thanks

Hello!

I had a new front door fitted a couple of weeks ago and they have fitted it too close to the floor so not only can I not tile the floor I had planned I can just about get a door mat under it!

Is there a correct height? Or is it all different and down to the fitter to make sure theres enough room? Can it be moved up on the hinges?

When they first pushed the door into the whole There was about a 3mm gap between the bottom of the door and the floor so I complained and they moved it up to about 17mm I thought that would be enough but it isnt :(

Thanks
Did you tell the fitter what you planned :?:

The door also has a 50mm spacer on the top. I know I didnt tell them I was going to tile the floor BUT you kinda expect to be able to get a door mat under the door :)

Take the 50mm add-on out from the head and replace it with a 20mm and move the whole door frame up or will the sash foul the plaster at the top?

You generally only see large add-ons like this if you have very very thick plaster lines, usually old buildings or where existing plastered walls have been dot n dabbed, with a 50mm to the head plus enough packers and room for foam underneath i would guess this door has been measured wrong (too short), now that would warrant a re-visit from the surveyor or owner. I'd also point out the add-ons around the windows too, if theres no need for them then its a surveying error

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back