Wooden front door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new solid oak external door/frame fitted. The fitter has left a gap between the new frame and the floor (such that when the door is closed you can see through - about 1 inch deep - to the outside). He said that this is because the new frame is wood and the old frame was uPVC so there would inevitably be a gap (Duh ! Why???) During the fitting process, the fitter dropped the door which now has 4 (smallish but noticeable) dents. Also, the door is not 'flush' with the frame. Firstly, am I being too picky in expecting these faults to be put right? Secondly, should I ask the fitter to come back or just accept that I will need to 'make good' (in which case, any tips would be welcome)
Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Get him back, sounds very shoddy.
If a bit intimidated have a friend with you.

I PERSONALLY would say your being to fussy.

couple of questions to ask, you say fitter? ie he must be a chippy, if not why the f**k not.
2. did he measure up for new oak frame or has he just been called around to fit the frame and he had nadda to do with measuring up the frame?

give me the answers to those two questions and i will give you my professional opinion on your matter in hand.

EDIT.
What do you mean by flush? if tis an external door which i am guessing it is then your going to have to explain further on that one.

Ask the fitter if he has a 1" gap at the bottom of his front door. If not ask him if he would like one. And then say that neither do you

I'm not sure about why there is a gap, but I am sure that it should not be and he should sort it out

This does not seem to be a £20 door from B&Q, and so I would expect some extra care in it fitting, and would not like any dents. I may be able to live with them if I got charged less for fitting to reflect his lack of care

As for the flushness, well, a new door in a new frame should sit flush, but you need to clarify this as its not clear what is not flush - there may be a good reason

Sponsored Links
did you buy the door, or did he supply it as part of the deal?

Did he cut an inch too much off it, or was it too short when bought?

He does not sound like a competent joiner (or even carpenter). A good one can usually fit a door better and faster than any DIYer. How did you choose him? Did he fit the locks well?
(I am not much good at woodwork so I get a local joiner in to do mine)

If you buy new frames and new doors, you should expect them to fit near perfectly. If not there must be a reason. What is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back