New front door fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am installing a new front door and have a pre 1920 solid blockwork construction ( external) wall that I need to make an opening in. The BI has suggested that I use an insulated lintel, my question is does anybody know if I can make the opening 9 inches from the outside corner of the front butressing wall and install the lintel on 150mm bearings in the side of the front wall, without damaging the structure of the house?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are thousands of houses with doors on or close to a corner, none of which seem to have collapsed into piles of rubble

Why is the BCO recommending an insulated lintel on a solid wall? Are you sure he's not just a council car park attendant masquerading as one, and perhaps not knowing much about building?

thnak you for your prompt response. I have asked the BCO the very same questions over the phone yesterday and he is going to make another visit and take another look. To be honest I could not for the life of me see a reason why I would need to install a catnic or similar on a house with solid block construction and all the other lintels on all the other walls are PS concrete standard. He said to me yesterday that new fit concrete lintels can form a cold spot and attract condensation. When he comes on Monday I will see If I can talk him into allowing me to use a concrete PS lintel as it would save me loads.
To be honest my major concern is being able to fit the door close to the corner and I know there are regs ( 550mm from centre line of butressing wall to nearest edge of openig) on a cavity wall but cannot find any regs in relation to solid block work and as Woody says there are thousands of buildings with it including the house across the street of exact same construction.
So Once again thanks for your advice and will let you know how I get on on Monday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back