New front door needs painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just installed a new heavy timber, hardwood front door. (I know, not the best time of year to do it but had to wait for the right door at the right price!).

Now I've got to paint the thing and I'm ashamed to say I haven't a clue what to do!

I don't think it's ready primed but think it's ready treated (it's a red squirrel type of colour).

Do I need primer/undercoat or primer then undercoat?
Then do I need a mix of undercoat and gloss or can I just bung gloss straight onto it?

Also, as it's a new door with no imperfections, do I still have to sand down before painting anything on and in between each coat?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question - it's just everyone seems to have different advise on it all and I don't want to muff up my brand new door!

Thanks for your time and feel free to laugh at my expense, as long as you've got some advice!!

Sponsored Links
I'd leave well alone until spring because you'll have drying problems and the paint must be applied within a certain temperature range. A hardwood door will survive the winter with no problems at all (its meant to).

It may have some kind of factory finish on it, cant really say without seeing it but when the time comes give it a light key then apply a coat of aluminium wood primer (essential) one or two undercoats and a top coat of gloss.

The best advice i can give you though is to ring a pro deccie or three up and get some prices as you do with respect sound like your likely to make a complete pigs ear of your nice new door! and i'll guarantee it if you attempt to paint it at this time of year, be a shame to spend the money and have a nasty paint job spoiling it, guestimate i'd say you could have it done for £100 -150.

Paint wise the Johnstones stormshield is becoming well rated, some people hate and some love Dulux weathershield, i used some in the summer and it was fine. Sikkens is also very good but pricey.

Although I agree in principle, this is the better advice to listen to:

Sealing all edges of the door as you recommend is the correct way to limit or eliminate swelling in wood doors. Indeed, ALL manufacturers of wood doors require sealing on all edges or they will not honor their warranties. Some exterior doors come pretreated with waterproofing to give you a fighting chance against swelling. However, if any trimming or cutting of an exterior door is ever done, paint or a clear waterproofing should be applied to the cut area.

Sealing should be done when the doors have the least amount of moisture in them... the dead of winter is the ideal time provided that you can keep the door open and warm enough for the paint or sealer to dry... if you have a good storm door, for example, or if you are willing to seal the entryway with plastic sheets. Otherwise the next best time would be early spring while the temperature/humidity index is still low. Paints and waterproofers usually have a low-temperature recommendation for their use that should be followed.

The preservatives used are often pants (for HSE reasons).

I agree re sealing all edges and would suggest priming the whole door.

Whilst it is the wrong time of year to paint it may still be better to paint it than not.

Most waterbased systems have a lower limit of about 10 degrees centigrade. Oil based paints will not freeze in our climate but will be like glue to paint as the temperature approaches zero.

I have painted outdoors over christmas once (when 18 and under duress, as a favour to a friend that was selling up).

I had to heat the paint tin in a bucket to get it to flow. god forbid I ever have to do it again I would add lots of owatrol to help the flow and then terebene to speed up the now extended drying times. Even with paint driers the door will probably stick where it meets the frame.

IF you can borrow a clean air supply and HVLP sprayer you could go for exterior grade acid cat spray. This will be touch dry in minutes and hard enough to lift the door in an hour or two. I cannot stress though how dangerous the fumes can be, they contain isocyanates- there are (rare) reports of sudden onset of asthma and the risk of flash explosion.

You will however be able to to finish the door in two days, allowing a day for the base coat to harden fully. Rehang and then take off to apply two top coats of a colour/sheen that you want, then rehang.

http://www.avko.co.uk/index.php?option=com_products&view=all&Itemid=4 for more info

The paint is expensive and will cost about £120 but this will cover all sides of about 4 doors.

Life expectancy is far longer than any brush on paint, don't have the details to hand though...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!

Wish I could afford to get a pro decorator to do it - but after the door and paying a chippy to hang it, I've really only just got the money for the raw materials to paint it!

As it's nice wood, someone's suggested staining it a nice colour, so I think I might give that a go, as it looks easier :mad:)

Same old story then, dont mind paying a chippie but paying a painter for a couple of coats of paint you suddenly run out of money? What do people notice?, how nicely hung it is? or how nicely painted it is?

Actually there's a third option, go down to your local pub and find the polish gangmaster and he'll give you a bloke for thirty quid a day... bargain, after all its only painting... any one can do that

Think you need to take a bit of chill pill there matey.

If I could afford to pay a pro for every job I would but I can't, hence why I go on a forum for advice - your first post was helpful your second was not. I want my house to look nice and in a perfect world would have a grand designs style house with a roof thatched with yeti hair - alas we don't live in a perfect world!

Thanks to everyone else and I appreciate the craft in all trades, I just have to prioritise which I can afford :D

I'm in exactly the same predicament as the OP.

I've had a fantastic new hardwood door and frame installed. Yes, wrong time of the year, but that's how it goes sometime. The frame and door were both primed at the workshop. My intention was to paint it immediately but the weather has not been too cooperative thus far. I really want to get it painted to protect it from the elements. Indeed, the manufacturer called around this morning and advised we get it painted and sealed ASAP to reduce risk of warping and moisture ingress.

Can anyone recommend a good undercoat that's suitable for this application? Furthermore, will undercoat seal the door or will I need to go whole hog and gloss it?

Many thanks as ever...

Hi Norberg

Pre 2010, Dulux trade Weathershield oild based undercoat was good enough to leave for years, i know because I have 7 year old facia boards on my garage at home that still only have the U/C on them (from day 1).

Not sure about the post 2010 version though.

Same old story then, dont mind paying a chippie but paying a painter for a couple of coats of paint you suddenly run out of money? What do people notice?, how nicely hung it is? or how nicely painted it is?

Actually there's a third option, go down to your local pub and find the polish gangmaster and he'll give you a bloke for thirty quid a day... bargain, after all its only painting... any one can do that

Bad day at work?

Whilst I have some (ie. a lot of) sympathy for your frustrations I don't think that members necessarily deserve that kind of vitriol. Ultimately who does it help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back