painting new interior plain wooden door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello folks have a new interior door to paint its bare wood at the mo and some mdf floating shelves which are also bare, i want to do both in gloss so am i right in buying a primer, undercoat then finally a gloss with a light sanding in between the primer and undercoat? thankyou

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ah ok ive already put the primer on :oops: :(

Oops! :(

You can do a few things or just risk it and hope no knots bleed through (they usually do, though), assuming the door has knots.

You could use a primer that acts as a knotting solution such as Zinsser B-I-N (Ronseal also make one) before undercoating or sand back the knotty areas and apply knotting solution (may make the door look patchy) before re-priming. Another option would be Aluminium Wood Primer which blocks resins but I usually only use it on hardwoods.

The choice is yours. ;)

ok thankyou for the advice, hope it isnt too late ill have a look for some knots cant say if i noticed any that stnad out, i was gonna give it a dulux trade gloss finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back