painting new wood

vw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am going to paint new wood. could anyone explain to me what is different between primer and undercoat? After primer or undercoat, do i need to gloss paint?

Sponsored Links
Bare wood needs primer, primer will seep into the surface and form a solid bond ready to accept undercoat. Undercoat is not suitable for priming as it will mostly lay ontop of a surface, every 1 does it tho :rolleyes: If you dont finish undercoat with a finish like gloss or satin it will just go grey/dirty and over time will wear off where it's handled.

primer seals the wood and allows the undercoat to adhere.then its undercoat then top coat,BUT MAKE SURE YOU KNOT THE WOOD FIRST with knotting.stops the knots bleeding through your hard work.

Sponsored Links
I've been led to believe that the Acrylic primer/undercoat will seal the knots and does away with knotting altogether, is this correct?

Not had any problems with bleed-through using the acrylics, but can only check back on timber I've done about 5 years ago.

Many thanks for your advices.

I just converted loft and want to paint structural support woodwork by using varnish. I do not need primer and top coat paint, is this right?

I use white rot wood care treatment for the loft woodwork. I wonder if it is OK paint varnish over it.

There is dust everywhere including the woods and internal wall. I tried to hoover and seem not to work well. Could you please give me some advices? Can I use wet clothes to clean it?

Thanks in advances

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back