New Garage Roof Timbers Wet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

Iv come here for advice because I'm worried about the roof on a garage that i have just had built.

When it rains the breathable felt becomes soaked in parts, On closer inspection (ie looking through were the felt overlaps) i can see that the timber battens are getting soaked.
This is happening so much that the felt allows drips of water into the garage. The worst leak is were they have nailed through the felt into the rafters

The result is the rafters are getting wet and water is dripping into the garage and onto my car.

Surely the roof tiles should prevent any water from touching the felt?

Is this a building fault? Looking at the tiles they all seem unbroken. Could the water be tracking back or something like that?

Iv not had the building inspector round for the final inspection yet. Should i tell him about the fault??

Sorry but I'm not to well up on what to do next. Obviously something is wrong!!!

Please Help. Any input would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Alan

Sponsored Links
I have been amazed over the years at what building inspectors have signed off especially roofs, you will be best to tell him if it is not raining.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys thanks for the feedback. I'll try to get some pictures later.

The tiles are modern flat, concrete i think. Pretty standard. 420x330mm

My roof is 22.62 degrees.

i did a bit of research and the lap for these tile should be 75mm minimum and the gauge 345mm minimum

After Measuring mine, the lap is 60mm and the gauge is 360mm.

Do you guys think this could be the main problem??

I will definitely let the inspector know.

Thanks datarebal

Im Going to have a word with the builder and the inspector about it. Brand new roof and it leaks.

And the Garage is full of stuff. Such a pain in the A*rse!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back