new garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im building a new 5.5m x 5m garage, in my rear garden there is a retaining wall 950mm high to next doors back garden (low end my garden). Some parts of the walls foundations are visible, what would anyone recommend be a safe distance to build the garage from this, without having to underpin etc?

Sponsored Links
You can go right up to it and depends how you want to do your footing plus what materials the wall will be (bricks or timber etc). A base type of footing is not a problem. If it's a deep footing then normally you have a number of section of footing with metal rods then backfilling in between afterward. Check with BCO for garages building regulations.

At least 1m away, but depends on depth of new footings. If new are 1.5m deep you should aim to be 1.5m away etc.
As masona says you can build up against the wall BUT you will need to support the wall with alot of temporary props while you undermine it and increase footing size on the retaining wall size to allow for additional loading.
Its better practice to allow some room between the garage and the wal for maintenance purposes.

Thanks people, its a single leaf of blockwork with piers, the foundations will be 600wd strip founds 150thk, 600mm down for frost cover. The existing garage (which is being demolished) was 300mm away from it, so if i built a new one in the same position with say 50mm scarcement, would that work? cheers

Sponsored Links
This will be easier,

xs150gb.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back