New garden project - advice required please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am new to this site and was hoping for some advice...

I have recently taken on a garden project in order to give my young children some grass to play on for the summer.

I have removed decking and a couple of extra paving slabs with a Sthil saw.

I removed as much sand and hardcore as possible which was under the paving slabs.

I have now started to turn the existing soil over. However, the first half is has a high clay consistency.

So far, this has been turned over with a spade, but the plan is to hire a rotavator next weekend to make things a bit easier.

I will then introduce new topsoil where necessary, followed by leveling, raking, treading down and finally adding turf (whilst constantly looking for and removing stones over 25mm in size).

The pictures below indicate the stage I am up to (taken in the rain). My query is would t be best to remove the existing clay type soil and buy new topsoil in, or will rotavating cure the high clay consistency?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Steve

Sponsored Links
Rotavating alone won't change the amount of clay in the soil. To improve the soil you need to mix in some other stuff like topsoil, sharp sand or leafmould.

The area you are dealing with looks quite small: trying to control a rotavator in there is likely to be a right faff, with the potential to knock your fence down.

Many thanks for your advice.

I have considered astroturf but the boss (the mrs) wants grass...so we are comprimising and going with what she wants to give me an easier life!

Since posting yesterday, I have carried out some research and plan to add in sharp sand and mushroom compost, then rotavate.

I will then add in new topsoil, level, compact and add turf.

Which subsequently brings me on to the following queries:

1 - How many mm of imported topsoil should I bring in?

2 - Following importing sharp sand and mushroom compost, and rotavating, would I have to leave for a period of time before bringing in the imported topsoil, and carrying out levelling etc?

Many thanks, Steve

Sponsored Links
Grass will grow on even a thin layer of soil but to grow well you really want 6 inches of decent soil before your clay. This can include your sharp sand and compost.

No need to leave anything to sit just plough ahead.

Remember to firm the ground by walking all over it and 'heeling it in' before laying or seeding.

If turfing then a thin layer (1 inch) of sharp sand is an especially useful thing to help final levelling and your turf can go direct on that

If there is too much clay you will create a false water table very near the surface and the lawn will become boggy when it rains.

Seconded.

I live in West London - clay is all we have. I could grow rice at the end of my garden during the rainy season.

Make sure you choose the right type of grass, the corner looks shady and if it's for kids you can go for a more hard wearing mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back