New gas fire ? (old'e style)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Knocked out the old fire earlier. Good bye 60's tiled jobbie :D

So now I need to order something more in keeping with the Edwardian terrace I live in.

I'm happy to take a fireplace that is 'decorative'- we have no need for solid fuel and the room will still have 2 x new 'old' style column radiators for general heating.

As far as I know the chimney is good, certainly the draft is excellent. So what's the score with a simple, even inefficent gas fire in a period style fireplace. I don't want a glass closed unit.

Simply flame and minimum effort as far as flues are concerned. What is class 1 and class 2 ?

I'm in a position where the flooring arrives soon, so would like some ideas on:-

Easiest / best 'pretend' fire technology. Class 1 & 2 and any new developements.

Where and how the gas gets plumbed to avoid unsightly pipes- there's a capped pipe with gas 3" off the existing hearth, under the floor.

What power is required, do these things have a spark starter via a battery or do they need a flex for a 3a f/spur.

I'm a spark by trade, so I know my legal limitations and will get a fire fitter / gas safe man in for the main fit. He will arrive after I've added a bit of shuttering to lift the hearth over the new floor (raise the existing fire floor 20mm).

So should I set in a micro bore pipe and some fire rated flex ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back