New Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting a new kitchen and my gas meter is in a kitchen cupboard.

I know meters are typically replaced every 25 years and mine is the original from when the house was built exactly 25 years ago! As such I'd rather get a new meter fitted now (before I fit cupboards around it and have a new boiler and gas hob fitted too) rather than fit my new kitchen and have them come and disturb things afterwards!

I spoke to Transco earlier (after having rung about 15 different numbers to find who I should be speaking to!) who confirmed that my meter is due to be replaced later in the year however couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me when exactly, and said I couldn't bring the change forwards as "the computer wouldn't allow it". They did say I could pay for the meter to be "moved" via my energy supplier and have a new meter fitted as part of this, however I know how much meter moves cost therefore this isn't an option!

I'm aware that people are often dictated by what the computer says now, however I'm sure it is possible to get the meter change moved forward if I speak to the right people!

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
With all due respect, you should be allowing enough room for the meter to be easily removed and replaced. It will need to be removed when working on the gas pipework/appliances in your house. Plan your kitchen around the meter so that this is possible and you have no problem later on down the line. :D

Sam

Hi new to the forum but not to Transco/National Grid
You should allow for plenty of room and easy access to not only your meter but also the main tap and the gas service riser,should the ever be a leak on the supply or internals you need to be able to turn the gas of at the mcv.Should it be the mcv or $ leaking then national grid will require access to repair/exchange.
They can also request you to remove any fitted kitchen units to gain access to the meter.

Mr Roberts,

you mention a new boiler. When a new boiler is fitted the gas supply pipe from the meter often needs to be upgraded.

You should either get the new boiler and supply pipe fitted before the kitchen units or have a new 28 mm gas pipe fitted from the meter behind the new units so they dont have to be disturbed afterwards.

28 mm will cater for any boiler power that can be supplied from your meter.

Take heed of what you have been told above. The meter and the pipework MUST be very accessible so that it can be changed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I may have been unclear with my original post - I'm not planning on enclosing the gas meter in any way that it will be inaccessible, in fact after I've finished it will be more accessible than it is at present.

I already plan to have the boiler and pipework fitted before the kitchen units, because the current feed is only 15mm so will need upgrading regardless of what boiler I get. I'm also switching from an electric to a gas hob so a feed needs running for this too.

The concern I have is that the meter is mounted inside a kitchen unit, which will need various holes drilling and parts cutting out of it to accomodate the gas piping. What I was trying to avoid was cutting a new unit to pieces to fit it around the existing gaswork, to have Transco (or whoever) come and fit a new meter shortly after and make a mess.

if it's accessible, no-one needs to make a mess. accessible means that a meter worker can get spanners to it to change the meter and regulator without damaging himself or your property. if it's not accessible because you change the layout of your kitchen you'll be responsible for making it accessible again. it's a widespread problem but transco rarely bear the cost of altering a service or a meter position

As an aside, is it legal to have a gas meter mounted in a loft? The reason I ask, as part of my kitchen refit I'm having my boiler moved into the loft, and it would make sense (at least from my perspective, maybe not from a meter readers!) to have the gas meter moved up there too.

I'm aware that boilers can only be installed in a loft subject to certain regulations, i.e. there must be a fixed ladder, lighting, flooring, etc. and wondered whether the same regulations would allow a gas meter to be installed in the loft too?

The meter can only be moved by the gas supplier through their contractor.

They expect any location to be easily acessible for their reader.

They do have wireless modems but rarely use them so far.

They usually expect any new meter position to be outside so readily accessible for reading and to inspect for anyone trying to be fraudulent by bypassing the meter etc.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back