Gas Meter Safety Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a property.

The gas meter at some point has been moved from it's original location on the outside wall to a cupboard under the stairs in the middle of the house.

ECV is still at point gas enters the building.

Rigid 22mm copper then runs all the way to meter. No ECV adjacent to meter.

Plumber has just fitted new boiler, and has told us the following:

1) The Gas meter has been fitted incorrectly as there must be an anaconda on the incoming side to allow flexibility in the event of movement. (Gas meter is securely bracketed and fixed to wall)

2) There should be an additional ECV adjacent to new meter location in the under stairs cupboard.

I'm not sure he knows his regs correctly from what I can read on it?

What does the panel think?

Sponsored Links
The plumber who fitted ur boiler is he Gas Safe Registered? If yes just listen to him and his responsiblity to contact gas supplier to fix problem

It is quite possible that the meter has been illegally moved into the house.

I cannot think of any reason why anyone would want the meter inside the house !

There should certainly be an ECV at the meter but I am not at all sure that there is any essential need for an anaconda if there is no likelihood of any movement.

Tony

The plumber who fitted ur boiler is he Gas Safe Registered? If yes just listen to him and his responsiblity to contact gas supplier to fix problem

Yep GSR, but unfortunately this (or most of the other trade qualification schemes) don't necessarily mean people know there stuff. There is plenty of evidence of that in the range of opinions posed by qualified tradespeople on these and similar forums.

Sponsored Links
It is quite possible that the meter has been illegally moved into the house.

I cannot think of any reason why anyone would want the meter inside the house !

There should certainly be an ECV at the meter but I am not at all sure that there is any essential need for an anaconda if there is no likelihood of any movement.

Tony

Cheers, Yeah I'm pretty sure anaconda isn't essential. I'll contact supplier and see if they fancy coming and fitting an ECV. It's just that always turns out to be a ballache. Hence asking on here first.

I'm with Tony on this, I don't believe an anaconda is necessary, however the ECV is a major concern.

Presumably the installation has been capped until it is sorted.

Your own installer can add the ECV at the meter if he chooses to do so.

However, it becomes an odd situation where a meter has been moved away from the supplier's original position.

The normal situation is that the meter, ECV and anaconda are the property of the supplier or transporter.

When the meter has been moved like this ( probably without the consent of it's owner ) then the additional pipework will not have been "adopted" by the meter owner. So maintenance/corrections are not likely to be done by the owner.

Unless there are over riding reasons not to, then the advice would be to move the meter back to the outside. Your installer could do that if he chooses to.

Tony

Yep GSR, but unfortunately this (or most of the other trade qualification schemes) don't necessarily mean people know there stuff. There is plenty of evidence of that in the range of opinions posed by qualified tradespeople on these and similar forums.

Anyone can post on this forum.

That means that you do not know what anyone's qualifications or experience is.

I did once try to add a gas safe logo after my name here but the site owner would not agree with that. I think that would be a useful benefit but I do not run the site!

Tony

Anaconda bit is nonsense but there should be an additional ECV beside meter and be labelled up saying were the original ECV is which should be accesible. And meter should only be understairs if single storey

o look somebody has installed the gas boiler before the meter and now only pay for gas to the cooker to make it look like it is used :)

i have seen this done before.

i dont advise this one bit,

outside do you still have the regulator and a metal bar where the meter was with plastic caps to stop it being removed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back