New gas pipe fitted, but gas won't ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had a plumber fit in a new gas pipe into my house. The whole run from meter to kitchen in copper, as my prevouis pipe was illegal.

The plumber said he had difficulty re-lighting the boiler after fitting the pipe. I know that my boiler can be temperamental sometimes.

Anyway I tested my gas hob in the kitchen and I get the problem below.

I turn on the hob. I can hear the hiss of gas, but I can’t ignite the gas. Could this be oxgtyen in the line. The gass has been turned off for 6 weeks.

I have spoken to the plumber and he coming around Monday to investigate, but he said he had pressure flow tested the new pipe so should ignite ok.

What can this be? Just for my info really. I am hoping to assume the plumber will know what the problem is.

Sponsored Links
He should have purged the pipework of air and tested all your appliances when he did that to make sure they light up. Was he Gas Safe registered?

yep he meant to do purge and relight after the job
call him back if does not re-light
and check his gas safe number

Check what size gas meter you have.

Is the property just a house?

Check the length of pipe from the meter if its in a flat. Sometimes there can be a verticle run of 20-30 meters.

Purging from the hob should only take a minute or two with a G4 meter and around 6 minutes if you have the bigger U16 meters.

If the gas doesnt come through the hob in around 2 minutes, then assume there is a blockage somewhere.

As the others state, check his gas safe number.

PS why was the old pipe illegal?

Sponsored Links
For the love of God please make sure you open any windows/doors when purging unignited gas from your cooker/hob.

I know I sound like a jobsworth, but if, as a previous poster mentioned, it is in a flat.... and has a 20m run... it could be nasty.

Hi all

Many thanks for the replies.

All done now, opened windows turned all the hobs on for 15 seconds. Let gas go out, then re-lit after a short while and hob all works fine.

The thermo-coupler on the boiler very coroded & that needs replacement.

Just to answer the question about the prevouis gas pipe.

Years ago when 1st brought the house it had no central heating and I wasn't living on site.

A plumber originally over saw the central heating in my house though at the same time Transco were moving the meter outside.

Transco ran in yellow external gas pipe through the property to new connection.

Shortly after this the carpenter put the floorboards down, so I didn't find this out until recently when lifting the floor boards for rountine thing!

I know it must of been transco as they are the only people which have those couplings for this type of pipe. I really would not be suprised many people around the UK have this pipe under there floorboards and don't know it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back