New gas supply. Connecting wood-burner back boiler into GCH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new gas supply fitted to my new all electric house. Told them I may want to fit a heated swimming pool in the future, so they fitted a 40mm supply.

Now the real reason is I'm thinking of building a annex, if I can get planning, and wanted to be able to run its heating system off my supply but on its own payg meter.
Would the gas companies be interested/concerned about this?

I see a G4 meter can run 65kw which should be enough (29kw in house, probably 20kw in annex plus hobs) but new annex is about 25 metres from meter. Need to split gas supply at about 5 metres. What pipe sizes?
Gas engineer mate is doing gas connections but wanted second opinion thoughts, he says 22mm is fine, G4 meters have 22mm outlets anyway, but then what was the point of getting 40mm supply fitted?

Also, would like to connect new back-boiler wood-burner into combi CH system, any problems with doing that?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

He's not the most reliable, but is just going to do it over weekends for mate rates but do get feeling he just wants to get it done, and worry about annex if and when it ever gets permission. Hence me, the bill payer, wanting second opinions, before having to have work redone.

I'd get someone else in as your mate dosent even know how to pipe size. Mates rates don't always work out cheaper.

Nath

Sponsored Links
Hmmmmmmm, difficult to get him to commit to actual getting here too, but can someone explain if a meter is only 22mm what difference does pipe size make after it?

The larger the pipe size the more gas it can carry, and resistance is not based on the smallest part of the pipe only but the entire run. Your engineer mate should know this, it is pretty basic stuff. As for a g4 meter only having a 22mm outlet :LOL: He should know better.

You can link your stove into your heating system but it must be made so that the solid fuel part is open vented otherwise the results could be unfortunate... You will need someone who knows what he is doing with that..,.. Far better not to have a combi but a thermal store linked to a heat only boiler

Hmmmmmmm, difficult to get him to commit to actual getting here too, but can someone explain if a meter is only 22mm what difference does pipe size make after it?

Dude this guy is a flirking liability. Mates rates are not worth it on a job this size. Mind you from what you said I wouldn't trust him to plumb in a hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back