New glass units movement in frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just recently had new double glazed units installed into existing conservatory frames.
Look great and I was happy with the job, but went to clean them and the double glazed units have move side to side as if either the glass isn't big enough or not been held in properly?
Is it normal to leave some movement in the glazed units? I would guess they have 5 to 10mm of movement left to right as you look at them from inside?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
Just recently had new double glazed units installed into existing conservatory frames.
Look great and I was happy with the job, but went to clean them and the double glazed units have move side to side as if either the glass isn't big enough or not been held in properly?
Is it normal to leave some movement in the glazed units? I would guess they have 5 to 10mm of movement left to right as you look at them from inside?
Thanks
Is it upvc frames?

If the glass is the correct size, the spacer bar should just behind the rebate.

Glass should not move side to side because plastic glazing shims should be positioned in the gap.

Is it upvc frames?

If the glass is the correct size, the spacer bar should just behind the rebate.

Glass should not move side to side because plastic glazing shims should be positioned in the gap.

Hi,
Yes uPVC frames, the glass went in from the inside, like I said looked like a good job and I was happy with it, but the glass does move side to side by 5 to 10mm on each panel.
Would you suggest getting in touch with the person and ask them to come take a look?
Thanks

Hi,
Yes uPVC frames, the glass went in from the inside, like I said looked like a good job and I was happy with it, but the glass does move side to side by 5 to 10mm on each panel.
Would you suggest getting in touch with the person and ask them to come take a look?
Thanks

The glass shouldnt move.

It should have glazing shims that are used to pack the glass each side and hold it so it cant move.

Yes get them back, its not correct

Sponsored Links
The glass shouldnt move.

It should have glazing shims that are used to pack the glass each side and hold it so it cant move.

Yes get them back, its not correct

So I asked the question about the glass moving and got the following response, just not sure what to do?

'Hi it's because the gaskets attached to the beads are old and have lost much of their flexibility. It won't effect the performance of the glass, if it's an issue I can pack the corners if you like?'

What would your thoughts be?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back