New Hardrive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got a new hardrive and before i log onto the internet what is the best free protection that i should download?

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt you need to find the "free" software on the internet anyway?

I like Avast anti virus and back it up with Zone Alarm firewall.

Sponsored Links
First of all, what is on your new hard drive? Does it have a Windows operating system?
Is there another hard drive on your computer along with the new one?
What do you intend doing with this hard drive, using it as your main HD or as a secondary?
What security is already on the computer that you are going to install the HD?

Just a few details may help.

Some free security software here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182013

If you don't have any now, then Windows firewall should protect you long enough to download and save to desktop a decent firewall, one antivirus program and get yourself an antispyware program. Then disconnect from the internet and install them all.
Then update each one in turn and run a scan with the AV and AS programs.

What should i call it,i have a new PC but using my original mouse,keyboard and monitor is that a base box,hard drive or just PC?
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.
I was using AVG free,adaware free,spybot free and windows defender on my old PC.
I am still using the old PC at the moment so i haven't started using the new PC yet.
With the free stuff i was using i did get some problems with tea timers and the like locking up my internet explorer sometimes.

Ahh! Situation is clearer now.

Your Vista PC will have a Windows Firewall so you are protected there.
Did it come with a free 90 day of Norton or something like that? They usually do, so you can set that working for the moment and go onto the web quite safely.

Download whichever firewall, antivirus and antispyware you want, save them all to the desktop. Then turn off the Norton (if that is the one that came as an offer) and install all the others that you want to use.

Then when they are updated and have run a scan, you can uninstall Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool
Don't use the Add/remove section in Windows because you will be left with strings of Norton everywhere.

Just to give you an idea of the free stuff in the link in my last post:
I use:
Comodo Internet Security (Firewall and antivirus)
Spyware Blaster
and for weekly scans
Superantispyware and
MBAM

AVG is a pita since they came out with the version 8 so I don't recommend it.

dave

Best firewall: zonealarm. As soon as that is ready, turn the windows firewall off, it is crap.
Avast is a very good antivirus program, but rather heavy on resources; AVG is almost as good, but much easier on the computer. Comes in handy when you have a hungry system like vista.
A most useful tiny little program is Winpatrol. It will come up with an alert every time there is anything trying to set itself up as an automatic startup program. Invaluable to stop all kinds of advertising, datamining and other unwanteds that are not in the chapter with viruses, trojans, worms and the likes.
Adaware is also very useful.

Get rid of anything to do with norton and macaffee.

Unless you have 5gig of ram or more, get rid of vista and go back to xp.

Another tip that will improve your i.t. safety many times over: get rid of internet explorer and use either firefox or opera instead. Both are decidedly better than ie, and a lot of malware is geared to look for ie only, not the others.

Sponsored Links
Back