new hardwood railway sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi does anyone around the leeds ,wakefield area know of anywhere i can get new hardwood railway sleepers from about 2.6m and as wide as possible.ive been told some hardwoods do not need to be treated to go into the ground ,they will be supporting a tiled roof thanks

Sponsored Links
Most railway sleepers are now concrete, and when you see wooden sleepers for sale they are generally all the same length (2.6 metres) and they're often secondhand. About the only place I know of that does them new is "Railway Sleeper.com" in Notts. Frankly I think I'd try to get some recycled pitch pine beam sawn to size from a local salvage company.

Scrit

littlecookie said:
ive been told some hardwoods do not need to be treated to go into the ground ,they will be supporting a tiled roof thanks

They're going into the ground AND supporting a tiled roof. I'm confused :confused:

There are plenty of places that sell new oak sleepers but as scrit says the length is usually upto 2.600. If this is too short for what you need it may be better to go to your local mill and get green oak sawn to 6x6" or 8x8" at the length you need, a lot of mills now keep inported oak in these sizes as its cheaper than local grown.

Some of the old sleepers were made from more exotic timbers that are able to withstand being outside better, you would not get these as new sleepers but you can buy timbers such as Opepe, Ekki and Greenheart in the sizes above.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I know someone who works as a train driver. He told me of a mate of his who had lovely new thick decking made of sleepers. He just took them from the railway yard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back