New here - Double glazed units in hard wood frames?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we did up our house about 12 years ago, we had hard-wood windows and doors fitted, each with 4 double-glazed units. The original ones were pre-fitted when the windows were manufactured. Within about 4 years, the double-glazing on the windows which get the most weather started to fail, with condensation getting between the glass and clouding them up.

The place we bought them from has gone out of business, so we got some new units and replaced the worst ones. We fitted them exactly as the glass supplier stated, using their supplied sealant and plenty of it. Now, 5 years on they are all beginning to go again! Is it normal to have to replace the units so frequently?

We have now ordered another lot of DG units to replace the worst affected windows, and wondered if there is anything we can do to ensure they last a bit longer! We are even thinking of going back to single glazing, as its becoming such a pain (excuse the pun ).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The place we bought them from has gone out of business, so we got some new units and replaced the worst ones. We fitted them exactly as the glass supplier stated, using their supplied sealant and plenty of it. Now, 5 years on they are all beginning to go again! Is it normal to have to replace the units so frequently?
No you shouldn't have these problem. Are you using the packing pads underneath the unit and a good gap clearance aorund the unit so it's not touching any of the wooden frame?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Funny you should mention the packers - you mean the things a bit like tile spacers?

We weren't given any the first time, but having gone to collect the new units a couple weeks ago, they gave us some when I asked for the sealant. Will using these make that much difference?

Just been browsing the forums and noticed "glazing tape" being mentioned. Would this be more effective than silicone?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Funny you should mention the packers - you mean the things a bit like tile spacers?

We weren't given any the first time, but having gone to collect the new units a couple weeks ago, they gave us some when I asked for the sealant. Will using these make that much difference?

Just been browsing the forums and noticed "glazing tape" being mentioned. Would this be more effective than silicone?

I've had DG units in hardwood frames for the last 10 yrs with no problems.

The packers I used are slivers of wood the width of the DG units.

I used Butyl putty rather than silicone.

If I remember correctly the glazing units have about 3mm clearance all round in the frames and the packers are used to centralise the units.

Only used packers at the base of the fixed units (one at each corner) and at opposite corners of the side hinged openers (2 at the hinge side base /side & 1 at the opposite top at the side).

Clearance is important as the frame will expand and contract so don't use packers all the way round.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back