New hobby bench

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this section.

I'm looking to build a bench/worktop in a spare room for general hobby use & pc desk and am looking for ideas/thoughts on a build.

With about 7' x 6' to play with I'd like an L shape corner, but building in one section might be a lot easier for me - so might be 7' x 4' with a bit of shaping.

What thickness material would be strong enough to be supports by three edges only (battens on walls) ?

A local merchant has 18mm mdf? available in 8'x4' but I doubt this will work unsupported at the front. Would thicker ply or melamine cover blockboard be strong enough. It'll be basically a table top (but deeper and edge to edge) but I don't want it to sag any time soon. Height adjustable legs are possible as long as their positioning could be made flexible.

Sponsored Links
I'd considered getting some cantilever legs but battens would work better for me.
Second link #14 but larger and without those supporting shelves/cabinet.

Would 18mm mdf be strong enough over such a larger area ?

Over such a wide span and depth you will need front support. There is no getting away from it, especially if you intend putting any kind of weight on it.

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 2 After.jpg
    2 After.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 130

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back