Making a Desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone.

I am planning to make an L shaped desk. The top will be made from a 1.2m X 2.4m sheet of material with a 400 X 800 piece cut out. I am planning to make the sides and back from 18mm beech ply.

What I am not sure about is what to use for the top so that it does not sag if leant on or sat on. How thick would it need to be? 25mm beech ply seems to be difficult to get hold of and expensive. MDF might flex. any suggestions?

Also, what finish would be best. I would like a clear finish, not too shiny, but hard wearing

thanks

tuttogallo

Sponsored Links
18mm ply or mdf will be fine but requires either timber support below or a leg at the internal corner,[set back] many options available. Curving the cutout would give a better look and be more comfortable to sit at.

you can also make or buy shelve/drawer or cupboard units to give support

Yes, I will curve the cut out.

I don't want to put a leg at the cut out. I want to put a ply rectangle going down to the floor along the short side of the "L", a ply rectangle along the long side of the "L", but not going down to the floor and a ply rectangle going down to the floor a the top end of the long side of the "L".

This means that the desk top at the front is unsupported from end to end (2.4m).

thanks

Julian

Sponsored Links
A 3x2 screwed to underside set back about 6 inches will give the length support and not get in the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back