new home, long wait for hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just moved into my new house, 1950s 3 bed.

it has a worcester combi boiler. when i turn the hot water taps on the demand light on the boiler turns on, it ignites andthe pump runs.

but it takes literally 2 mins to get hot water to the kitchen tap which is on the same level as the boiler and it literally takes 5 mins to get hot water to the bathroom sink (1st floor).

water presure is on 1 bar, theres no leaks etc.

why does it take so long to get hot water?

my other property had a conventional boiler and I never had an issue with hot water delivery.

any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

First off, the 1bar on the front is the pressure in the central heating side and nothing to do with the flow of hot water.

As for the time being taken, that is mainly down to 2 things, the length of pipe runs to each outlet and the flow rate of the incoming cold mains.

Rico

the cold water flow/ pressure is pretty good, it flows out of the cold water tap very quickly and spalshes everywhere (in the kitchen sink) so i have to only slightly turn the cold water tap on, so i suspect the cold water feed is pretty good to the boiler. as for the length of pipe, i dont know, will check this out tonight.

as far as i know, combi boilers are generally slowish to heat the water up, unless you have one of the hi tech modern types that store a small amount for faster delivery. it's just the way they work. if you get too much flow from the hot tap anyway, really really fast, this will also reduce the hot water temperature.

Sponsored Links
Hi

MY sister has a combi. I prefer the hot water cylinder myself.

running it slower will probably make it a little hotter, but basically won't really improve the time it takes to heat up at the tap. it is just the design of the boiler/pipe run length/flow rate in general.

Pipe diameter may also have some effect on hot water delivery.

If 22mm or 3/4" pipework from an old hot water system has been re-used, you will have to run off about twice as much cold water held in the pipework as you would from a 15mm pipe run of the same length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back