New house- bathroom options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Just moved into a new place. It has a bathroom and en suite.

Both need a total over haul- while we are at it we are looking at or heating options as when running a bath the hot water is soooo slow its un real.

Being a DIY virgin I will try to explain what we have currently.

The boiler is newish (2 years apparently) but not a combo I think as their is still a tank in the airing cupboard. On the floor next to the tank is a pump that powers the showers (makes a HELL of a racket).

I dont want to change boiler- but would like to run a bath in under an hour.

What can I do? I friend mentioned something called Mega Flow? What is this? Will it work?

Sponsored Links
also- the main bathroom itself- we want to strip it right back to nothing and start again- new floor boards, lino, tiles along with a new suite etc

The room is 6 * 7.

Is their a good rule of thumb on cost? One guy gave me a 'ballpark' of £5k.

£5K sounds about right, dependant on your choice of sanitary&brassware, wall covering etc.

The sky is the limit for the 'smallest room'. I would caution against falling in love with summat at a posh showroom place, they NEVER have any pipework on show either in or out.... and then the lady of the house gets uppity because some will inevitably be on show.

Get three quotes from recommended 'plumbers' - Not bathroom fitters - as they will tile every square inch and leave no access for future maintenance. My customers have found this out the hard way....

Shame you are not in Norfolk, I would be happy to pop-round for a cuppa and a chat about just what YOUR vision is for your home.

DH

If the hot water is still tank fed then there should be a simple solution to get better flow. Check all valves all fully open and there are no obstructions in the outlet from the cold tank (in loft) to the cylinder.

Possible the shower pump is drawing air (Cavitating) hence the noise, if hot flow is poor then this could be more likely. (It wont do the life of the pump any favours either....)

A megaflo is a brand of 'unvented' hot water cylinders. Basically its a storage cylinder for the hot water that supplies the hot taps at mains water pressure. However, they are expensive and you would need a qualified installer to fit one. Also it can only put out what comes in, if the cold mains supply is poor then you'd see little or no benefit. Correctly plumbed gravity hot / cold mains supply should fill a bath in a matter of minutes.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I think I would look to pick and supply the units.

Good tip, accessing all the piping without ripping out all the units mig be handy.

Will next a few more quotes for the bathroom and one of these mega flow things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back