New House Changing/Replacing Combi Boiler/Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In January we are moving to our New House ( Hooray !!! ) :D

The present owners had a Ferroli :cry: Combi Boiler installed under the stairs
My wife and i both do not like Combi Boilers and would like a system where you have a Storage tank and " Conventional" Wall mounted boiler
Next door to the Under stair location is a downstairs Bathroom which has an outside wall and plenty of room to Build and Airing Cupboard to hold the Tank and have the Boiler Wall Mounted
Rerunning gas and Water pipes is not an issue

So my Question
Am i allowed to have this done ?
or is there some " Green Directive " saying i must use a Combi

The whole house needs New Radiators in every room and and we want this all done at the same time
Any suggestioins on Make of Boiler ( Gas )
3 Bedroom house

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why don't you like combi boilers?

There's nothing to say you can't fit an conventional boiler and hot water cylinder, only that the boiler you fit must be condensing.

No reason why you can't build an extension to your house and have the boiler in there as you suggest, but it should be large enough for an engineer and his tools to be in if you intend for it to be accessible from outside. This isn't a regulation, but think about it, if you were the attending engineer would you really want to be stood outside in the pouring rain / snow / freezing cold working on a boiler, or have your tools out there?

The 'which boiler manufacturer is best' question is asked two or three times a week on here. My choice, and the choice of many others on here, is Intergas, although you'll get a few throwing in other makes as well

No reason why you can't build an extension to your house and have the boiler in there as you suggest

The room i am thinking of using is an existing downstairs bathroom
its not an extension
it needs completely refitting so we thought we would move the boiler from understairs to this room and create an Airing Cupboard having the Cylinder in the Bottom with Shelf above for the clothes
and have the Boiler Wall mounted with Flue to outside

About 12 Rads in the House

Combi boilers have come on leaps and bounds recently dont dismiss one they come in very large outputs these days and are very efficient if installed properly

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK although if you're talking about mounting the boiler above the cylinder that's going to be a real pain to service. You haven't said why you don't like combi boilers, I wouldn't dismiss it in your situation.

Its all about my Wife wanting an Airing Cupboard to Air clothes
Call us old Fashioned but it has always worked for us
At present we have the Cylinder in a cupboard in the bathroom with Shelves above for clothes
She wants this again in the New House
The New Boiler can be Wall mounted in the Same room not above the Cylinder

Its a Big room and we are planning to have the Washing Machine in there as well with a worktop above

Your existing combi boiler can be used to heat a cylinder which can be placed anywhere including the loft!

Whats the need to replace it ( apart from being a Ferroli! )

Tony

Your wife can have an airing cupboard to air clothes off a combi, just put a small radiator in there, it'll take up a lot less space than a cylinder so she'll have more shelves. Also, modern cylinders give off very little heat at they're massively insulated to comply with energy efficiency regulations.

As Agile has said, provided there's nothing actually wrong with the current boiler (apart from the make) then you may as well hang on to it for a while

Your existing combi boiler can be used to heat a cylinder which can be placed anywhere including the loft!

Tony
So we could move the Combi from Under the Stairs to the Downstairs Bathroom and have a Hot Water Cylinder in the Airing Cupboard
That way we could get the Warm area for Airing Clothes

Didnt know a Combi could heat a Cylinder :eek:

Only Replacing it as Its a ferroli and as theres a lot of Building / remodelling work going on we thought we would have it all done at the same time

You can't really move your existing boiler, if you want to change its location you'll need a new one as it's classed as a new installation.

A combi can heat a cylinder but that only helps if you keep your current one.

I'd still go for a combi with a small radiator in the airing cupboard to provide heat for your clothes, as I've said a modern cylinder won't give off much heat anyway and it takes up loads of space that you could have clothes in

Tony

Cant beleive it but for once I actually agree with Tony !!!!!! must be going mad

You do want you want, if you're wife wants a regular condensing boiler with hot water cylinder, and you have budgeted the cost, then do it. To me it seems a perfect scenario for any installer, empty space to plan a decent installation allowing extra consideration for future replacement of parts. And bear in mind the nice long warranties that come with some boilers. So often we are left with putting boilers in the most awkward locations. Blimey if only all my customers were this considerate.
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back