New house - lots of problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We've inherited a central heating system that seems to have a fair share of problems.
It consists of an old Ideal E-Type bolier in the cellar & what looks to be an indirect type cylinder with an immersion heater in the bathroom 2 floors above. There are radiators spread across 3 floors.

My problems are:
1) If the immersion and the boiler are on at the same time we get what seems to be a hot water airlock between the shower in the bathroom and the hot water tank (in the same room). Placing the shower head on the floor of the shower sometimes clears it, but more often than not I need to put some hose between the hot and cold taps and back flush the hot water - you can hear gurgling/bubbles come through to the header tank in the loft. Other than keeping my wife away from the immersion switch, is there any way to stop this from happening? We use the immersion as generally the boiler seems incapable of creating enough HW to fill a bath.

2) If we have the system set to HW only, the radiators still get warm. I have located the pump (an SMC Commodore 130-45 next to the boiler) but can't find a diverter/3 way valve. Would I definitely have one and is it likely to be the source of the problem?

3) We have an old fashioned rotary thermostat in the hall. Unless this is set to a high temp both the CH AND the HW do not come on. If the boiler is set to HW only, you can hear it turn on/off as the thermostat is triggered. Is this just a wiring problem?

Sponsored Links
It's obviously a VERY old system, with several design/function problems. It may have no valves at all.
Can't tell much from here.
Fraid you'll have to get someone to see what's going on, who will doubtless be itching to quote you for someting more modern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back