New house = New problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
g`day to you all
First things first i`m not a plumber and have no plumbing experience. just basic bathroom fitting and sinks, Tap`s etc,etc

Just moved into new house . We have No gas as it is not runnig through our village.
We are on Economy 7 wet heating ( big storage tank under stairs Not sure what make / Model ).
LPG is rather expensive to install tank sub flush in garden ,besides garden not that big really to fit it in.
Hot water is Immersion heated water cylinder at the moment. Economy 7 too

I would like to , Sorry , the boss ( wife ) would like a shower cubicle fitted, but the only way is to remove airing cupboard next to bathroom and install it there.

option 1 is to install Megaflow inloft
As i`m running it on immersion, can it be wired into Economy 7?
For loft install, do i just strengthen beams and place Mega flow over walled section in loft for strength?
Boss ( wife ) is worried it might not be a safe system?

option 2 is to move Water cylinder to other end of house .
Problem is, limited space in other areas

i know the mega flow is expensive ,needs annual inspection, and can blow your house up . but i wouldn`t need shower/water pumps ,i can get rid of Cylinder tank , and also water trank in loft.

we`d like to change electric boiler at some piont too ..............But that`s another post !

Regards King Nose

PS
Don`t Panic
I have a mate who is certified to fit Unvented systems, but wanted other peoples coments / views and if anyone had any other ideas

Sponsored Links
Ask your mate the one with the G3 ticket to check your incoming mains water pressure before buying un-vented. It ideally needs a min 3 bar working pressure though you may get away with less depending on multiple water demand. Try the Santon Premier, its made my Heatae Sadia (Megaflo people), costs less, stainless steel, long guarantee and with separate ex vessel its shorter for fitting in lofts.

PS
Don`t Panic
I have a mate who is certified to fit Unvented systems, but wanted other peoples coments / views and if anyone had any other ideas

Trust your MATE then :?: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i only had a quick chat to my mate ( after a few beers !) ,and he said he`d check if pressure and flow was good first before going any further.

one other question , I`ve noticed a few `JG Speedfit ` connections around house , will these be ok with Megaflow ?

Kingnose

Sponsored Links
No for two reasons.

1. If Megaflo failed water temp and pressure could reach close to or in extreme circumstance beyond plastic design limit.

2. Makes the job look un-professional and cr*p.

Anyway it's your choice.

i only asked as the speedfit joints are under kitchen sink and bath .
i believe these fittings are ok upto 6 bar ,system shouldn`t get that high should it??

are the megaflows expensive to heat up using the immersions??

Regards Kingnose

4 bar at 92 degrees. (also your sink/bath is not right on the cylinder). If you feel comfortable this close to the limit carry on. As for immersion there is no real cheap way to heat large volumes of water (whenever you need it) electrically.

Ok ,Info taken on board & thanks for the reply and your help.

Regard Kingnose

Megaflo's no more expensive to heat up than ordinary cylinder. Direct ones will have 2 elements, one for E7 and other for top up during day.

If you are heating water on E7 you don't want a little baby megaflo. You need one of the 250 or 300 litre jobbies. Otherwise you will be always boosting the hot water during the expensive day rate.

kingnose said:
i only asked as the speedfit joints are under kitchen sink and bath .
i believe these fittings are ok upto 6 bar ,system shouldn`t get that high should it??
Regards Kingnose

Thats unfortunately an uninformed DIYer's guess!

Anyone with the unvented qualification will know that the pressure release devices on most unventeds have the LOWEST setting of 6 BAR !!!

But thats not the point! Plastic tube can only stand 6 Bar of cold water. It very rapidly loses its ability to withstand pressure as it gets hotter. It can fail at 2 Bar and 110°C

Tony

further to my post .
i thought it a reasonable question i asked and i got good replies back . Bar 1 .

the comment "Thats unfortunately an uninformed DIYer's guess! "
was a bit rough really.
firstly i was wrong, JG fittings are guaranteed at 25 Bar ( Cold )
they also test @ 95 Deg ( with JG Insert ) at 10 Bar .

They have never tested at 110 DEG !!!!

KN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back