New house with a fair bit to do....where to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just purchased a 2 bed bungalow (built late 40's) which is in need of modernisation. When the sale completes we'll be completely removing the kitchen and taking down a partition wall to open up into a kitchen diner. Going to be fitting a comlpete kitchen (L-shape) and tiling the floor.

We will need a full re-wire with addiitonal points in the kitchen and are considering getting the garage plumber, etc. for washing machine, freezer, etc.

The walls are in good condition so will just be some plastering required after the kitchen's sorted.

We are going to restore the floor boards and get a combi-boiler fitted (radiators are pretty good so leaving them).

Final biggy is double glazing throughout (1 bay, front & back door, folding patio door and 6 windows)

I can do a fair bit of DIY but usually it's small bit by small bit so you know what you're doing and when.

Anyu advice on how best to plan out this project and which tradesmen I am best speaking to initially?

Hopefully you can help with these points....Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
building work, sparks, plumbers, plasteres, window fitters, that order, rest, as and when.

or perhaps building, window fitters, plumbers, sparks, plasterers.

try to get sparks and plumbers in around the same time, floors up, cross bonding, etc, you get the drift.

I agree with Eddies second list. You might try and get someone who can do the plumbing and electrics at the same time to cut down on multiple lifting of boards and channeling of walls etc etc.

Will you need a builder ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back