Where to (re)start renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a 1904 mid-terrace, with 3 upstairs rooms, 2 reception rooms, kitchen and a ground floor toilet + extension bathroom.

The whole place looks like it's not been touched since the late 60's. My g/f & I were *slowly* improving it until she passed away recently, which has the faint silver lining of some additional funds to actually crack on and finish the project.

Only I'm not sure where to start.

The current state is;
1. House re-wired.
2. New boiler (in kitchen) plus hw & cw storage tanks.
3. One side of the kitchen is 'done' (i.e. where the boiler had to go plus sink & washing m/c).
4. New sash windows at the front of the house and front door.
5. One upstairs room finished as a study/spare room.
6. Have stripped landing walls and balusters.

The DiY is bitty due to things failing, so instead of the original top-down approach I've got various rooms in various states of disrepair.

The state of the plater and ceilings throughout the house is a concern, in that it's very dry & friable in places where I've removed skirting, internal doors, etc.

Larger things I know need doing or want done;

7. Gut back bedroom and re-plaster plus fit new sash window.
8. Move the bathroom & toilet upstairs.
9. Convert old ground floor toilet/bathroom into a kitchen extension onto the garden.
10. New sash window in rear ground floor reception room.
11. Convert empty front room fireplace into a wood stove with flu, etc.
12. Needs all new rads, plus associated plumbing (I did this in the study, but it wasn't done as part of the new boiler/storage install for the other rooms).
13. Ideally I'd like each room re-plastered/ceiling boards.

Has anyone got some advise as to what type of business/person I can contact to get this work done? and the order of it?

Should I split it into tasks such as get the plastering all done first, then windows, then bathroom more? - or get the bathroom moved and as part of that get the window & plastering in that room done?

And/or other considerations?

What about project management? I've got a job and so can devote time to it, but won't be around during the day - is that a consideration?

I'm okay at some skills - like woodwork and can plaster a bit, fit rads, move lighting/sockets, tile a bit, etc.

n.b. I'm trying to make the restoration fairly sympathetic to the period, hence sash windows. I'm also planning on staying in the house mid/long term.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.
Simon

Sponsored Links
Plumbing need sorting before any plastering, that should take place when you are ready to reinstate a room, so plaster then install skirting door frame etc and then dec.
A general builder should be able to deal with the jobs you have left and should be able to sort the required trades as and when they are required, but this will be an extra cost if you cannot be around to supervise [though he is likely to have far more experience and cost you less than doing it yourself] if you get it wrong it will still cost money and or time.If you wish to do any of the work yourself then make it very clear at what stage you wish to step in.

rads last.. you try getting skirting behind the pipes..
or painting / papering behind a rad..

gut whatever needs gutting.. and get the ceilings down.. ( this may prevent you having to get the floorboards up, on the first floor anyway.. )

re-run the pipework but just leave tails above the floor..

get all the windown done in one hit.. it'll be cheaper probably..

rough in the upstairs loo..

get the plastering upstairs done then and decotrate and finish the rooms ( second fix bathroom and fit the skirting and rads etc.. )
then do the kitchen extension ( taking out the old loo ) and plaster what needs downstairs..

decorate and second fix downstairs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back