Order of works - Plastering, new boiler, new kitchen & b

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a house which has/needs lots of renovation on it.

These are the things I still need to get done, but in particular relation to the 2 plumbing works and plastering, I'm a but unsure about the best way of doing things. I'm sure if I asked the plasterer he'd say it would be better to do his bit first, and vice-versa for the plumber! lol

At the back of my terrace house I have a kitchen, and on top of it a bathroom. The ceiling in both is ripped off/down at the moment.

I need the following done: -

• Re-board kitchen ceiling
    Skim kitchen ceiling
    Re-skim kitchen walls
    Re-board bathroom ceiling
    Skim bathroom ceiling
    Re-plaster whole of bathroom (plaster has been ripped off the walls as it was old and crumbling) - Should this be done before some plumbing has been put in place for the new bathroom/shower?)
    New combi boiler fitted on wall in kitchen (old tank/backboiler ripped out elsewhere) - I expect pipes from the new boiler having to go through the kitchen ceiling (the one that needs re-boarding & skimming)
    Need new bathroom fitted - I expect this would be lots easier if the ceiling hasn't yet gone back up in the kitchen below it yet?
    Bathroom Tiling

Can anyone help/advise me with regard to the best route.....?

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
Plumbing first plastering after.

I would plumb to a point in the bathroom where you can then plaster before the bathroom suite goes in. So all pipework in place and old suite out then plaster, I would then tile prior to the WC and basin being installed. This would obviously depend on whether you need the bathroom in use while renovations are in progress.

Gotcha, thanks for the advice. :)

Another quicky. If I wanted a Built in thermostatic shower.... can they normally just bore/channel into the brick? Or does it always have to be built out with a bit of timber?

Concealed shower valves are normally too deep to be accommodated within the block work & plaster depth & still leave enough left to get a good fixing for the valve & in some cases you may end up in the cavity or the room next door.

It’s usually easier to build a false wall to conceal the pipe work & shower valve although you can partially recess if space is a premium. When building the stud wall use a decent waterproof tile backer board, DO NOT use plasterboard unless you intend to tank it; even then I wouldn’t recommend it in a wet area.

Sponsored Links
OK, now you have me worried. Was planning on Dot & dab standard plasterboard to redo the whole bathroom, plus skim on top of course. :S

If you want the job to last rather than just 3-5 years, it’s important you do it right using the right materials. Only ever use moisture resistant PB in a bathroom never ordinary wall board & I would never use PB of any sort (unless it’s tanked) behind the bath or in a shower. If water gets behind there & into the PB (& it usually does eventually), it will quickly disintegrate. Likewise it’s important to use a quality trade adhesive & grout, when tiling not the cheap stuff sold in DIY sheds. Take some time to do a little more research before you start; read some of the associated threads in the Plastering forum, the Tiling forum & read the Tilling Sticky. You should be ably to glean enough info about the best options open to you but come back in the appropriate forum if you need to know more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back