What order should i carry out for my whole home redecoration (Renovation)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am carrying out a major re-decor of my home. Below is the order that I shall be carrying out the works in my home. I would appreciate if anyone could give me their opinion on my order; Whether this is the best way or not or just give recommendations, I would be very grateful for your information and reasons why.

I thought this order below would be the best way; to prevent any inconvenience to other jobs having to be re-done again.

1. Full Central Heating system

2. Garden Paving

3. Guttering Around the House

4. Ceiling Velux window in the extension downstairs

5. Doors + Architraves

6. Plastering some Ceilings due to cracks

7. Wall conditions prep walls (Plaster or fill) depending on severity, prep for paint

8. New light replacements and socket and switch replacements.

9. Painting

10 Fix Floor boards and install laminate flooring/ skirting and carpet.

I am having the (Upstairs) bathroom changed putting in a new suite; where would this and a new kitchen installation (Downstairs) Prioritise in my list above ?. Please see below in more detail regarding my kitchen.

I am also having a new kitchen installed. The current floor tiles and kitchen shall be removed. The kitchen room shall be like a blank canvas, therefore, should the new floor tiles be installed first, then the new kitchen cupboards etc.. to be installed on top of the tiles ? or should the kitchen be installed on the concrete then floor tile around after (vice versa)?

Because the old Kitchen floor tiles will be removed where should I prioritize this in my list above? I would assume the job would be messy removing and re-tiling etc...I would appreciate all your advice and opinion on this and my order of work.

Thank you so much, advance.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a quite a lot of work going on there.
You say its your home, do you intend living there while the work is in progress ?
litl

You will need walls finished before you hang any rads on them. Kitchen door does not go under units unless you are having exposed kitchen legs ( not plinths)?

Sponsored Links
Inside first, outside last, then you won't stain or ruin the garden; and guttering before the garden as well. Always work ceiling to floor, so paint ceilings, then fit lights, then paint walls. Laminate floor and carpets etc to be done last.

As to inside, the central heating will knock holes in the walls, but any walls that need plastering need to be done first. Skirting board will also need painting before the central heating goes in, otherwise you'll be struggling to paint behind pipes etc.

It'll cost more to tile the whole kitchen rather than just the floor you walk on, but I'd advocate it as the more sensible option, as it's much easier to drop the kitchen in, than tiling up to the unit legs afterwards.

You will invariably end up going painting some things twice, but hopefully, it'll just be touching up, but that's all par for the course.

Best of luck with the project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back