What order would you do things in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old cottage I'm buying needs the chimney checking and a fireplace opened up (if possible) for a new multi fuel stove.

A new kitchen

Extra electric sockets and re-siting of the cooker point

A different hot water system (currently electric instant hot water heaters).
There is no gas locally so options are either oil or electric.

Repair or replacement of the wooded sash windows.

What order would you do things in?
I'm thinking
Fireplace
Electrics
Plumbing
Kitchen
Windows

I'm going to have to move in before it's all done. Guess I will just have to camp out in one room.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I don't think you are too far off with that.....get the dusty and mucky jobs out of the way first.
Regarding the heating (oil recommended as far as I can see) you need to decide if you are having stored hot water or a combi boiler - there could be more upheaval there.
Windows can be replaced with remarkably small mess as a rule - again replace rather than patch.
Organise the plasterer so he can come in and do the whole lot, rather than him coming back to patch up.
Good luck with your project - a few pics could be nice!
John :)

I don't think you are too far off with that.....get the dusty and mucky jobs out of the way first.
Regarding the heating (oil recommended as far as I can see) you need to decide if you are having stored hot water or a combi boiler - there could be more upheaval there.
Windows can be replaced with remarkably small mess as a rule - again replace rather than patch.
Organise the plasterer so he can come in and do the whole lot, rather than him coming back to patch up.
Good luck with your project - a few pics could be nice!
Yes I'll post in the projects bit - before, during and after!
Estate agent speak: Now requiring some refurbishment
Reality check: Needs gutting!

Just noticed your post on the pros and cons of the Quooker type tap.....have you considered an oil combi?
My holiday place has an oldish oil Heatslave and gives loads of hot water.....in summer you can actually have 2 showers at the same time. This place hasn't any space for stored hot water so I had little choice - but it certainly was the right one.
I can't comment on the performance of the newer oil combis though - we'll let the others do that!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back