1st House needs improving - What order would you do it in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have just bought a detached period cottage, constructed in 1850. It's been vacant for 2 years and is in a poor state. It has a damp problem, uses oil as its off the gas grid (though it hasn't been used or serviced for 2 years), has poor electrics and plumbing.

I am looking at possibly having a wall knocked though to join the kitchen and the dining room and also have installed a ground source heat pump as an alternative to the oil heating that is currently present.

The order that I plan to do this in, is as follows;

1)Have checked whether knocking a wall down is possible, and do this if it is.

2)Damp proof the house.

3)Have Ground Source Heat pump installed

4)Fix electric wiring and sockets.

5)Fix the plumbing

Is this the order that you would do it in? I'm a complete novice.

Sponsored Links
That is a fair plan,
*Plan for any structural work required.
*Apply for any building control notices or planning needed
*Knock off/Knock down, plaster/brick/block
*Consider insulation or soundproofing of walls
*Build up any required internal pilars/walls
*Bring in the services installers for first fix (plumbers/electricians/heating engineers/data engineers) to make provisions for pipework, ventilation ducts, electrical cable, data cable etc...
*Insulate loft
*Plasterboard/render/finish walls
*Paint/decorate, second fix of services (these two can be done either way, but on occasion it is sometimes wise to decorate first and on others have second fix done of even have first coats of paint prior to second fix)
*Any snagging
*Remember to ask for any documents/certificates that should be issued relating to any building work and installation of services.
*Put the kettle on and get the biscuits out, feet up!

Please note that thermal insulation can effect the safe current carrying capacity of electrical cable, so make the electrician aware of areas that will be insulated, so circuits can be designed to the correct specification or the thermal areas avoided.

Can a GSHP replace the CH, or only be an adjunct to it?

I take it you know if it is/is not a listed building, or in a conservation area?

Do you have any idea what's causing the damp? Is there actually a problem, or is it just damp because it's been shut up and unheated for 2 years? Where is the damp?

Are there any features you want to keep? e.g. stone walls? Are there any materials you need to keep, e.g. lime mortar/render/plaster?

If you plan to add insulation have you considered the benefits :) of external vs internal (and the cost :cry: )?

Sponsored Links
Can a GSHP replace the CH, or only be an adjunct to it?

I take it you know if it is/is not a listed building, or in a conservation area?

Do you have any idea what's causing the damp? Is there actually a problem, or is it just damp because it's been shut up and unheated for 2 years? Where is the damp?

Are there any features you want to keep? e.g. stone walls? Are there any materials you need to keep, e.g. lime mortar/render/plaster?

If you plan to add insulation have you considered the benefits :) of external vs internal (and the cost :cry: )?

Hi,

The GSHP would replace the CH, providing me with underfloor heating throughout and hot water.

No its not listed and I have free reign over it to do as i like.

The damp has probably been caused by a combination of a solid brick wall and no ventalation and heating for 2 years. I've only checked inside but all of the walls are wet to the touch.

I only plan to knock one wall down so the kitchen and the dinning room are joined.

As for the insulation it'll have to be internal as i wouldn't want to cover the nice brick exterior walls, I've got Green Deal looking at my options for that.

I'll have to get good insulation for the Ground Source Heat pump to work efficiently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back